Monday, September 14, 2009

No Big Shot Required!

Happy Monday Morning! I hope that you all had a great weekend! Last week I shared with you a couple of treat containers that required the use of the Big Shot Die Cut Machine and while I will be the first to admit that I love my Big Shot I also realize that not all of you have one. (Let me know if you are interested in seeing how it works ;) , back to today's post sorry. For the next two days I will be sharing treat containers that do not require the Big Shot to make. These are by no means original ideas they have been around for as long as I have been stamping and that is a while. I will give you measurements and scoring instructions so you can also make these simple treat containers for all the spooks and goblins in your life.

The first project is a box with a flap closure commonly called a 2-5-7-10 box. Why you may ask well it is simply because it is scored at those measurements. You will need a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of card stock. For this project I used Pumpkin Pie Card Stock (105117). On the 11" side you score at the 2", 5", 7", and 10" measurements then turn the card stock and score at the 1 1/2" and 6 1/2" measurements.
I have supplied you with a diagram of the box to help you understand my instructions for the next few steps. After scoring you will cut off the areas shown in white on my diagram. Leaving you with just what I have in orange. The score lines that go across the bottom will need to be cut up to the next score line to create the bottom flaps. Fold along all score lines and if you would like you can scallop the flap which is the only piece left on the top of the box. I scalloped the flap with the Scallop Edge Punch (112091). You can also stamp on your box before you assemble it. Place Sticky Strip (104294) on the 1" piece shown on the right side of my diagram. Fold the box and place the 1" flap inside the box attaching it to the other edge. This will form your box. Next fold the two short side edges into the bottom of the box and place Sticky Strip (104294) onto one of the two long Flaps, fold the one without Sticky Strip (104294) in then the one with the Sticky Strip(104294) to finish the bottom of your box. The box is now ready to decorate. I used the Halloween Hoot Stamp Set (111582) and colored the Witch with Basic Black (109126), Old Olive (100079), Perfect Plum (100035) Stampin'Write Markers before stamping her on Confetti White Card Stock (102028). I then masked the Witch and Stamped her sign with Chocolate Chip (100908) and Pumpkin Pie Classic Ink (105216). The Moon was stamped off once then stamped onto the card stock with Summer Sun Classic Ink (100537). The whole thing was layered on Basic Black Card Stock (102851) and I used the Crop-a-Dile (108362) to add hole in the flap and the front of the box and used 5/8" Basic Black Grosgrain Ribbon (115605) to tie the box shut.
The next project is a little smaller. It is also a scored box but instead of closing at the top it is left open. I started with a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2" sheet of Perfect Plum Card Stock (101889) and scored it at 2",4", 6" and 8" on the 8 1/2" side, along the 5 1/2" side I scored at 2". Cut on the 2", 4", 6" and 8" score lines up to the 2" line making the flaps for bottom of the box. The box will be about 3 1/2" tall. If you would like to scallop the top edge of the box you will need to do so before you fold the box up. Cut off the top and bottom extra flaps on the 1/2" side similar to the box above. Add Sticky Strip (104294) to the 1/2" flap and secure it to the other edge of the box. Fold the bottom flaps in and use Sticky Strip (104294) to hold the box together. I again used the Halloween Hoot Stamp Set and the Stampin'Write Markers to ink up the Frog and I couldn't resist using the Free Kisses Stamp that comes with the set. Inside the box is a Small Flat Cellophane Bag (103104) with what else but Hershey's Kisses of course. I tied the bag shut with 1/4 " Basic Black Grosgrain Ribbon (109027).
Now you have the directions to make two treat containers that don't require the Big Shot. Tomorrow I will show you two other treat containers that are even easier to make. If you have any questions please email me and I will be happy to help. Thank you for stopping by today and have a great day, Tonya

No comments: