Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Uncle Sam


With all the new Catalog excitement the 4th of July has sort of snuck up on me. Since Stampin'Up! is updating our websites as well as having to wait until Noon to place my first order, I decided it was time to create Uncle Sam. I had originally planned to have him be a bagalope like my other creations but with his goatee it just wouldn't work out. So I think he is going to become a wall decoration. I started with the Top Note Die and cut out his face using Blush Blossom Card Stock. The eyes were created using the 3/4" Circle Punch, 1/2" Circle Punch and 1" Circle Punch. Using Ballet Blue, Basic Black, and Whisper White Card Stock in that order. The nose was created by cutting out a triangle from Blush Blossom Card Stock then sponging the edges with Blush Blossom Classic Ink. I hand drew the mouth on with the Basic Gray Stampin' Write Marker. The goatee and the tufts of hair were created with the #2 Daisies Die for the Big Shot. The large and medium flower were cut out twice in Whisper White Card Stock and the little flower once also in Whisper White. The flowers were then cut in half and the folded in half again making sure that the petals lined up between each the other row. I hope this makes since if not I will post pictures later to explain. After folding the flowers I used Tombow to hold the layers together. The tufts of hair are one half of a large flower with one half of a medium flower on top. Make two. The goatee is two large flower halves layered on top of each other, then two medium flower halves, then the two smallest flower halves. the tufts of hair and goatee are lightly sponged with Going Gray Classic Ink to give a little contrast. This gives Uncle Sam a nice long goatee. The hat was created free hand by first taking a rectangle and making the bottom narrower than the top. The red stripes were then added which are 3/4" Real Red Card Stock. The top of the hat is trimmed into a oval shape using a non Stampin'Up! template. A Night of Navy Band was added with Small Star Punches added. The brim of the hat is also Whisper White and was made using the same template from the top of the hat. I will take some pictures later this afternoon as I know that these directions are not the clearest. Of course you could also just make the hat straight up and down and the brim also. I just wanted to try and add dimension by rounding it.
I will be hopefully posting more this week but in case I don't I hope that you all have a safe and Happy 4th of July and thank you to all the service men and women that help keep our country free. Tonya

No comments: