Friday, July 24, 2009

The Big 50!

Good morning, today is a very special day in our house. My DH has a birthday today and while he doesn't really want a big fuss made about it it is a big birthday as I am sure the title of my post and the card will let you know. The kids and I have some plans for today after he gets done doing some work for friends of ours. That is one of the things I love about my husband is that he is always willing to help others at anytime. He is very generous with his time.
Moving on to today's card, I don't often use retired sets or sets that are no longer available for my blog post but this set was just perfect for the birthday card. Now this is a take 2 card as the first one we started we decided we didn't like. Have you ever done that scrapped a card and switched your process completely? As this is a big birthday we had originally planned to go with black and basic gray on the card but the kids really wanted the "hill" in the middle. Well the two together just didn't work so we switched to this bright colored more cheerful card. The base of the card is Brilliant Blue Card Stock (101843). I used a 5" x 10" piece which makes the finished card 5 x5. This size works best with the inside surprise. I cut out the Whisper White Circle with the Circle Scissor Plus (112530) then stamped the mower image from And Many Mower in Basic Gray Classic Ink (109120) I used the Aquapainter and watercolored with Brilliant Blue, Basic Gray, Real Red and Gable Green Water Color Wonder Crayons. My DD punched out circles from scrap card stock in Gable Green (102795) and Real Red (102482) then texturized them with various Big Shot Texturz Plates.

The inside of the card contains the "hill" that the kids wanted. I used the Pop-Up Three Tier Cake Bigz XL Die (116760). You may remember me using is as a traditional card for my niece's birthday. It also works as a great hill. When adding the strips around the hill, I cut them a little wider than the directions called for so I could cut them to look like grass. Since this is the big 50 we thought that 50 should be at the top of the hill and cut the 50 out with a old sizzix set that I have in Real Red card stock. The Brilliant Blue Circle is punched out with the 1 3/4" Circle Punch (112004). The sentiment And Many Mower! is also from the stamp set it was punched out with the Word Window Punch (105090).
I hope that you enjoyed today's card and that you have a great weekend. We have two family reunions which I am looking forward too! I love the chance to get together with family that we don't often get to see and just reconnect. Thank you for stopping by and I will be back on Monday with the new deal of the week. Remember it isn't to late to take advantage of this weeks deal of the week, just give me a call. Thanks, Tonya

No comments: