Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Autumn Tile

Good afternoon, If today's stamp set looks familiar it is because it is the Autumn Splendor that I used on yesterday's card. I held off on buying this set but now that I have it I am really enjoying using it. I love how the leaves look so real. I have stamped on tiles before and I love the look of it but the way I have done it before I was limited to using Stazon for the images then coloring them in Pastels then adding a sealer, but since Stampin'Up! has introduced the new Shimmer Paint the way I stamp on tile has changed and it has opened new and exciting options. The two tiles I am showing you were each made a little differently. The above tile was my first one and while I like how it turned out it was rather time consuming because the stamps had to be cleaned about every use. Before I get to far ahead of myself let me explain how the first tile was made then I will explain how I made the process easier. I started with a clean ceramic tile found at most home improvement stores. I inked up my largest leaf with Classic ink, yes I did say classic ink, then I used a sponge dauber to add Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint to the inked up image. I stamped on the tile. Cleaned the stamp and repeated the process until I got the look I desired. I used Pumpkin Pie, Dusty Durnago, Crushed Curry and Soft Suede Classic Inks. To color in the acorns I used an Old Blender Pen and mixed a little Soft Suede Reinker and Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint and by picking up the Soft Suede Shimmer Paint I was able to color in the acorns.
Now because I wanted this tile to be easy for a group of people to make I need to make the process just a little less work, so I made the second tile. The colors are the same, but instead of inking the stamp then adding the shimmer paint I simply added one drop of reinker to a little shimmer paint to make my own colored shimmer paint. I then added the paint to the stamp with a sponge dauber and stamped. I again colored in the acorns with an old Blender Pen but by adding the Reinker to the Shimmer Paint I didn't have to clean each stamp between restamping. Plus since the shimmer paint dries and seals the color right in. I did speed up the drying process with the Heat Tool but you could also just let it set over night. Add a few felt pads to the bottom and you have a perfect Thanksgiving Trivet to show off. If you are interested in making a tile like this then be sure and contact the Rolling Hills Library as I will be offering this and three other projects at my class Tuesday Nov. 10th. The class fee is $15 and is payable when you reserve your spot. Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you at the library. Tonya




No comments: